The Art of Breakfasting



Breakfast was always a meal that, more often than not, went neglected for the sake of a few more moments under the covers with the snooze button relentlessly ticking away. I was lucky if I managed to hastily scarf down a piece of burnt toast as I rushed off to class.

But things have changed now. The post-grad life welcomes morning hours that stretch into a pleasant expanse of quiet. And with that comes the realization that breakfasting can be so much more than a matter of physical nourishment. Recently, I've found that taking a few moments to collect your scattered thoughts over a cup of tea can make all the difference. When your day is an endless momentum of movement, the intervals of stillness act to create a rhythm out of the blur. 

It seems that the art of breakfasting deserves some more credit from us all.

Soundtrack to my most recent breakfastings
pear & almond butter toast w/ honeykale, egg, soy ginger vinaigrette over ricehazelnut chocolate toast

17 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots, Michelle! I've really grown to appreciate taking the time to make breakfast in the mornings. They're such a great way to start the day. :) In the second shot, is that toast with peanut butter and pears? It looks absolutely delicious--must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tana! It's pear & almond butter toast with some honey drizzled on top - easy and delicious! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. love the photos. and breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. i have to admit that mine don't look as beautiful, though (fatty bagels, breakfast burritos, home fries)... :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatty breakfasts are the best breakfasts. Miss you! :(

      Delete
  3. These awesome photos are making me hungry! And is that Nutella on the last shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a mix of almond butter and Nutella, yes! The best.

      Delete
  4. Love this post. It's true. Breakfast is important. It's been awhile since I've sat down and truly took the time to sit down and eat breakfast.

    Your pictures are gorgeous! That toast with pears and honey looks delicious! And you can never go wrong with Nutella on toast! That's probably what I'll eat for breakfast tomorrow.

    Iquo
    www.iquoismusic.com
    www.keaishop.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you - I appreciate it! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Michelle, did you use VSCO for all of these photos? they are great shoots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did - VSCO is great in Lightroom. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  6. This is absolutely gorgeous!
    We must breakfast

    P.S. the last one is killer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you! Mutually enamored by your jewelry :)

      Delete
  8. Found your blog and website and life in general via vimeo yesterday and I just wanted to say a big thank you. I went through your work and felt hopeful- that there were people out there who understood, who loved the same things, and who were out there striving to make beauty and find meaning.
    xx
    Sana Javeri Kadri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the most thoughtful words- I'm really moved. I can't tell you how grateful I am right now that these clumsy hands of mine could possibly stir something in others. So thank you.

      Delete